The Pen the Kenai community writing project is seeking submissions from Kenai Peninsula residents. Pen the Kenai is a companion to the Paint the Kenai community mural project, where artists from around the peninsula are invited to paint a mural tile that represents the artist’s take on “Life on the Kenai.” All murals will be displayed over the summer, and community members will vote on one to be painted in a public space on the peninsula.
Similarly, Pen the Kenai asks peninsula residents to represent what “Life on the Kenai” means to them. All submissions will be displayed with the murals at the visitors center in Kenai. Semi-finalist submissions will be selected to be published in a Paint/Pen the Kenai book to commemorate the projects. And one winning writer will be chosen to have their submission put on permanent display with the mural.
- Entries may be in the style of the writer’s choosing — essay, poetry, narrative, etc. — but may not exceed 500 words.
- Only one entry per writer is allowed.
- Entries must be original, not previously or concurrently published elsewhere, though writers reserve the right to use their entries in any other venue after the Paint/Pen the Kenai summer art show.
- Entries are due by midnight April 15, 2013
- Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Use “Pen the Kenai” as the subject line.
- Open to current Kenai Peninsula residents of all ages.
- There is no entry fee for Pen the Kenai.
- Entries must include a short, one-paragraph biography of the author to be displayed with their work at the Paint/Pen the Kenai summer art show at the Kenai Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center. (Including name, age, community of residence and other brief biographical information).
- Elementary, middle and high school classes and clubs are encouraged to hold their own contests to bring the best entries to the forefront for submission.
- For more information on Pen the Kenai, contact Jenny Neyman at email@example.com or 394-6397.
For more information:
- A story on Pen/Paint the Kenai in the Redoubt Reporter can be found at: www.redoubtreporter.wordpress.com.
- Follow the projects on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PaintTheKenai?ref=ts&fref=ts
- Submission information for Paint the Kenai: http://www.kenaichamber.org/membership/forms/PTKtoartist2013.pdf